A Genuine Hawaiian Village
Henry Kekahuna was a gifted and prolific surveyor and researcher who worked for the Bishop Museum in the 1950’s and wrote extensively about preserving Hawaiian culture. In 1959 Kekahuna surveyed and drew his map of Kāneiolouma. On his map, Kekahuna describes a fully functional and self-sustaining complex that served a very particular and important function in Kauaʻi society prior to the 1800s.
In his document entitled “A Genuinely Authentic Hawaiian Village for Kauaʻi,” he laid out a descriptive blueprint for restoration of Kāneiolouma. “It is planned that someday this sizable tract in Wai‘ōhai, Poʻipū, Kōloa, Kauaʻi, that contains the remnants of the Heiau of Kāneiolouma... shall be restored. Thus might be saved... a genuine Hawaiian village.”